Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Male Infertility Diagnosis
If you and your partner have been having unprotected sex for a year or more and have not conceived, make an appointment with the fertility specialists at Fletcher Allen. We offer fertility services for couples as well as for individuals wishing to build non-traditional families.
Diagnosing Male Infertility
Your doctor will begin the diagnosis by asking you about your symptoms and your medical and family history. We will also perform a thorough physical examination. We may ask you about your sexual habits and your sexual development. It is important to be honest and open with your doctor, so we can identify any underlying cause of the infertility
Other diagnostic procedures include:
- Semen analysis - This is often the first step in diagnosing infertility. We collect a sperm sample at our office and then analyze it. You may need to provide several semen samples at different times so we can ensure our results are accurate. We are looking for:
- The number of sperm
- Shape and movement
- Signs of infection in the semen
- Other infertility tests - If the semen analysis is inconclusive, we may order other tests to help diagnose infertility. The goal of these tests is to identify any underlying cause of infertility so we can create an effective treatment plan. Infertility tests include:
- Scrotal ultrasound, to determine if there are obstructions in the testicles
- Transrectal ultrasound, to check your prostate
- Hormone testing
- Post-ejaculation urinalysis, to determine if the sperm are traveling back into the bladder instead of exiting out of the penis
- Genetic tests, to diagnose any congenital disorders
- Testicular biopsy, during which we remove a sample of testicular tissue for analysis
- Anti-sperm antibody tests, to determine if you have immune cells that are attacking your sperm
- Specialized sperm function tests, to analyze various aspects of the sperm
Male Infertility: Treatment
Once we diagnose the underlying cause, if any, of the infertility, we can create a treatment plan for you. Our doctors offer a wide range of comprehensive fertility services, including sperm banking and anonymous donor semen for insemination. Learn more about male infertility treatment.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-1400.