Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Kidney Cancer Diagnosis and Treatments
If you have kidney cancer, you need the care and expertise of a specialized group of physicians who work together as a team to provide advanced care, including the option of robotic surgery.
Kidney Cancer Diagnosis
Kidney cancer diagnostic tests include:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Imaging studies, including:
- Minimally invasive biopsies - At Fletcher Allen, our doctors try to use minimally invasive biopsies, using an ultrasound-guided needle to take a sample of tissue to look for signs of cancer. This way you don’t have to undergo a major surgery.
Kidney Cancer Treatment in Burlington, VT
Because kidney cancer can be resistant to radiation and chemotherapy, removal of the kidney or kidney tumors is considered the gold standard treatment for localized kidney cancer.
Kidney surgery has traditionally been performed using an open approach, meaning doctors must make a large incision in the abdomen. Another option is conventional laparoscopy, which is less invasive but also limits the doctor's vision and control.
Robotic Surgery for Kidney Conditions
If your doctor recommends surgery for kidney cancer, you may be a candidate for robotic surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System. This minimally invasive approach involves advanced technology to help your physician perform a more precise operation than conventional surgery. It offers several potential benefits over conventional open surgery, including:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer transfusions
- Less risk of infection
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stay
- Shorter recovery time
- Increased potential for kidney preservation in certain prescribed cancer operations
- Better clinical outcomes, in many cases
Robotic surgery offers Fletcher Allen’s expert surgeons added precision and dexterity, which can lead to better clinical outcomes for the treatment of kidney cancer. If you are a candidate for a nephrectomy talk to one of Fletcher Allen’s urologists who perform robotic surgery for kidney cancer.
As with any surgery, these benefits cannot be guaranteed, as surgery is specific to each patient and procedure.
- Find out if you are a potential candidate for a robotic-assisted surgery.
- Find a da Vinci-trained Fletcher Allen urologist.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions About Robotic Surgery.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-2884.