Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Bariatric and Weight Loss Surgery
- Are You A Good Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
- Program Criteria & Pre-Operative Requirements
- Life After Bariatric Surgery
- Find a Bariatric Surgeon
- Basic Nutrition, Pre-Operative and Post-Operative Care
- For Referring Providers: Does My Patient Qualify?
- For Providers, Residents and Fellows
- Procedures & Treatments
- Obesity (Bariatric) Surgery
- 353 Blair Park Road
Williston, VT, 05495
- Phone: 1-888-978-8293
- Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM
Are you ready to change your life?
Research has shown that Bariatric Surgery (also called Weight Loss Surgery or Obesity Surgery) is the BEST method for permanent weight loss. Studies have shown that a permanent loss of excess weight, can lead to a reduction or even elimination of many serious health problems, including diabetes, hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea.
Fletcher Allen Health Care Bariatric Surgery Program offers a unique team approach to weight loss. Our program focuses on the whole person, through an intensive pre-operative period, and beyond. Our surgeons, dietitians, physician assistant, psychologist, and nurses work with you to insure a successful outcome.
If you have tried and failed at weight loss in the past and you are in the "obese" weight range, bariatric surgery may be an option for you. Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index) to see if you qualify. Fletcher Allen Health Care follows guidelines set by the National Institutes of Health. Your BMI must be above 40 (or above 35 if you have serious health problems due to your weight such as diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnea) to qualify for Bariatric Surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Options at Fletcher Allen
Our bariatric surgery program offers both Primary and Revision surgeries:
- Gastric Sleeve or Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, also known as Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, removes a portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the hormone that stimulates hunger. The smaller stomach size reduces food intake and decreases calorie consumption.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery, also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, slows the absorption of food and decreases calorie intake by creating a small stomach pouch and a "bypass" of the small intestine.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch combines both the sleeve and bypass surgeries to produce the largest amount of weight loss (up to 85% Excess Body Weight) as well as reducing or eliminating diabetes. This surgery provides the most durable weight loss and best protection against weight regain and is especially good for the patient who has a great deal of weight to lose.
- Gastric Banding or Lap Band® Surgery involves placing a silicone ring around the upper part of the stomach. The balloon inside the ring is inflated to create a small pouch to make the patient feel fuller sooner.
Sometimes patients require a revision to their original bariatric surgery. Revision surgery options include:
- Revisions of Gastric Bands to Sleeve, Bypass or Duodenal Switch may be needed if weight loss was inadequate or due to intolerance or complications from the Band. This is done in one or two stages and restores/induces weight loss.
- Re-stapling of Gastric Sleeve may be necessary if the sleeve has stretched. This further reduces the size of the stomach and thereby restores weight loss.
- Second Stage Duodenal Switch may occur after a primary Gastric Sleeve surgery that did not produce adequate weight loss. In this revision, the small bowel portion of the surgery is completed.
- Revisions or reversals of Gastric Bypass or Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG) may be needed due to inadequate weight loss, weight regain, or complications such as; severe GERD, marginal ulcers, staple line disruption, recurrent bleeding, perforation or obstruction, or gastro gastric fistula.
Learn more about all of Fletcher Allen's comprehensive surgical services.
|Fletcher Allen Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery - Information Brochure||Download PDF|
Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF documents