Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Breast reduction (reduction mammaplasty) is a cosmetic surgery procedure that involves the removal of breast tissue and skin to achieve breast size in proportion with your body. Breast reduction is a common type of cosmetic surgery among women in the U.S.
Breast reduction surgery may help to:
- Alleviate the discomfort and physical limitations associated with overly large breasts
- Enhance the appearance of your breasts
- Correct for changes in skin quality (stretching)
- Improve your self-image and self-confidence
Consultation and Evaluation
The first step in your treatment at Fletcher Allen is an initial cosmetic surgery consultation and medical evaluation. During this time, we will discuss your goals and concerns and determine if you are a suitable candidate for breast reduction cosmetic surgery. Patients interested in Breast Reduction surgery should at a minimum have:
- a BMI (Body Mass Index) under 35
- be a non-smoker for at least 6 months
- have a recent (within last year) negative mammogram for patients over the age of 40
- and have documented for 3-6 months noted grooving in shoulders from bra straps, interigo, pain in the neck, back, arms or shoulders, and have received 6 months of treatment from a chiropractor or physical therapist.
Learn More about Breast Reduction
For more information on breast reduction visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website. You will find information on estimated costs of breast reduction surgery, how best to prepare for breast reduction surgery and questions to ask your cosmetic surgeon during your consultation.