Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Cardiothoracic Surgery Services
Services provided by Cardiothoracic Surgery include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Valvular replacement and repair
- Resection of aortic and thoracoabdominal aneurysms
- Surgery for atrial arrhythmias
- Limited pediatric cardiac surgery
- Evaluation and treatment of both benign and malignant pulmonary tumors
- Evaluation and treatment of mediastinal and esophageal pathology
- Treatment of chest wall abnormalities
- Management and treatment of traumatic cardiac and thoracic injuries
Fletcher Allen has a team of specialists from Cardiothoracic Surgery, Radiology, Cardiology and Vascular Surgery dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment and long-term follow-up of patients with diseases of the thoracic aorta.
The thoracic aorta is a section of the aorta, the largest artery in the body, within the chest. It supplies oxygenated blood to the chest cage and the organs within the chest. Conditions include:
- Thoracic aortic aneurysmal disease
- Connective tissue disorders
- Congenital abnormalities
- Traumatic injuries
Heart Rhythm Disorders
The group also offers surgical treatment for acute atrial arrhythmias -- or severe heart rhythm disorders. This surgery is called the Maze procedure and can be performed as either an isolated operation or in conjunction with valvular or bypass surgery.