Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Aquatic Physical Therapy
If you are recovering from an injury or procedure, you may want to consider aquatic rehabilitation to help you get back on your feet.
Aquatic physical therapy involves an exercise program that is performed in the water. It is useful in the rehabilitation of a variety of medical conditions, and allows patients to perform exercises that would not be possible on land. Water provides the following benefits:
- Buoyancy: water reduces the force of stress placed on the joints, assisting patients with arthritis, healing fractured bones, or who are overweight.
- Resistance: water is excellent for strengthening muscles.
- Muscle relaxation: warm water can help those with muscle spasms, back pain, and fibromyalgia by promoting relaxation of muscle groups and increased blood flow.
Fletcher Allen's Aquatic Physical Therapy providers work with patients to:
- Develop pain management strategies to allow increases in active range of motion with clients who have been unsuccessful with land-based exercise.
- Develop strengthening programs for clients who cannot tolerate land-based exercise due to weakness, pain or neurological impairments.
- Develop functional mobility programs.
- Progress strengthening programs from the water to land.
- Client and caregiver education/instruction in customized exercise programs for clients experiencing cognitive and/or physical challenges.
Fletcher Allen has had a dynamic and growing aquatic physical therapy program since 1988. The aquatic physical therapy program has continued to expand in expertise and program offerings. This program is located at the Winooski Community Center and YMCA and features a specially designed state-of-the-art therapy pool. The staff are committed to quality service delivery and consistently bring the latest in evaluation and treatment planning to this service.
The Aquatic Physical Therapy staff have broad-based backgrounds in acute rehab, subacute rehab and general orthopedics, which results in comprehensive evaluation and treatment planning for a wide variety of patients. The licensed therapy staff consists of physical therapists with a broad background that enhances his/her work with the population served in the pool.
Please call to arrange an evaluation and treatment. Patients who have managed care plans must have a referral authorization number from their primary care provider for appointment scheduling. Please note that financial coverage for evaluation and treatment is subject to the conditions of your particular insurance policy.
Aquatic Physical Therapy
Winooski Community Center
32 Malletts Bay Avenue
Winooski, VT 05404
Phone: (802) 847-0080
Fax: (802) 847-0310
Hours of Service
Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm