Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
CT (CAT) Scan
Our Philips Brilliance 256-slice scanner is located in the Emergency Department, which allows us to provide images within minutes of arrival for emergent patients. It gives us many options to scan for all clinical indications, and is used for outpatients and inpatients as well. The Brilliance CT's strength is its ability to do comprehensive organ assessment literally within seconds and with a high degree of fidelity. Some of the advantages of 256-slice Brilliance CT include:
- Cardiac CT Angiography (to include cardiac function and coronary angiography)
- Cardiac Gated High Resolution Chest CT
- 3D Reconstruction for all exams (especially helpful for surgical planning)
- Faster and more accurate examination for pulmonary embolism and thoracic/abdominal aneurysm
- Critical Care scanning
- Virtual Colonoscopy Capability for certain diagnostic studies
This technology allows us to deliver high-quality care swiftly and efficiently.
Computerized Tomography (CT) uses x-rays to produce cross-sectional images of the body. CT is used to detect and identify fractures in the bones as well as abnormalities within the body.
At Fletcher Allen, registered radiologic technologists operate the CT scanners, sometimes referred to as "CAT scans". These technologists also have additional training and certification in CT.
At Fletcher Allen, our CT scanners include 16-slice, 40- slice, 64-slice, 128-slice and 256 slice configurations.