Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Pharmacy Research and Resident Publications
Pharmacy Published Research
Corbett SM, Rebuck JA, Greene CM, Callas PW, Neale BW, Healey MA, Leavitt BJ. Dexmedetomidine does not improve patient satisfaction when compared to propofol during mechanical ventilation. Critical Care Medicine 2005;33:940-945. (Feature Article)
Rebuck JA, Marden B. Gastrointestinal complications in the critical care unit. In: Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program (PSAP), 5th ed., Schumock G, Brundage D, Chapman M, et al, eds. Kansas City, MO: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2005:33-66.
Daley RJ, Rebuck JA, Welage LS, et al. Prevention of stress ulceration: Current trends in critical care. Critical Care Medicine 2004;32(10):2008-2013.
Daley RJ, Canada T. Managing the cancer anorexia-cachexia syndrome: A pharmacologic review. Oncology Nutrition Connection Fall 2004;12(4): 1-8.
Mallow S, Rebuck JA, Osler T, Ahern J, Healey MA, Rogers FB. Do proton pump inhibitors increase the incidence of nosocomial pneumonia and related infectious complications when compared to histamine2 receptor antagonists in critically ill trauma patients? Current Surgery 2004;61:452-458.
Olsen KM, Rudis MI, Rebuck JA, Hara J, Gelmont D, Mehdian R, Nelson C, Rupp ME. Effect of once daily dosing vs. multiple daily dosing of tobramycin on enzyme markers of nephrotoxicity. Critical Care Medicine 2004;32:1678-1682.
Ahern JW. Pharmacokinetics and Dynamics. In Grace C, ed. Medical Management of Infectious Disease. New York: Marcel Dekker, 2003.
Castelli EE, Rebuck JA. Digoxin. In: Textbook of Critical Care. 5th Edition, Fink MP, Abraham E, Kochanek PM, Vincent JL, eds. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2005;Chapter 200.
Ahern JW, Lai C, Rebuck JA, Possidente CJ, Weidner M. Experience with vancomycin in patients receiving slow low efficiency dialysis. Hospital Pharmacy 2004;39:138-143.
Ahern JW, Grace CJ. Effectiveness of a criteria-based educational program for appropriate use of antibiotics. Infections in Medicine. 2002;19:364-374.
Coplin WM, Rhoney DH, Rebuck JA, Clements EA, Cochran MS, O'Neil BJ. Randomized evaluation of adverse events and length-of-stay with routine emergency department use of phenytoin or fosphenytoin. Neurological Research 2002:24;842-848.
Rebuck JA, Fish DN, Abraham E. Pharmacokinetics of intravenous and oral levofloxacin in seriously ill adults in a medical intensive care unit. Pharmacotherapy 2002:22;1216-1225.
Papadopoulos J, Rebuck JA, Lober C, Pass SE, Seidl EC, Shah RA, Sherman DS. The critical care pharmacist: an essential intensive care practitioner. Pharmacotherapy 2002:22;1484-1488.
Wade EE, Rebuck JA, Healey MA, Rogers FB. H2 antagonist-induced thrombocytopenia: Is this a real phenomenon? Intensive Care Medicine 2002:28:459-465.
Pisegna J, Rebuck JA. Inpatient management of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: focus on the control of gastric acid secretion. Gastroenterology and Endoscopy News 2002;5:65-70.
Rebuck JA, Pisegna J. Clinical update on the prevention of stress ulcer-related gastrointestinal bleeding. Pharmacy Practice News 2002;5:68-73.
Rebuck JA. Management of alcohol withdrawal. In: Critical Care Secrets. 3rd Edition, Parsons PE and Wiener-Kronish JP, Eds. 2002; Chapter 70, pages 353-355.
Rebuck JA. Sedation in the mechanically ventilated patient. In: Critical Care Secrets. 3rd Edition. Parsons PE and Wiener-Kronish JP, Eds. 2002; Chapter 90, pages 446-448.
Ahern JW, Possidente CJ, Hood V, Alston WK. Cefazolin dosing protocol for patients receiving long-term hemodialysis. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2003;60:178-181.
Pharmacy Resident Projects:
- Infectious Complication Secondary to Ash Split Catheter - Eleanor Mesler, May Hoang (2004)Evaluation of Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis in the Critically Ill Patient - Ryan Daley (2003)
- Prospective Study of Aspiration in the Trauma Patient - Christopher Miller (2003)
- Prospective, Randomized Study of Dexmedetomidine vs. Propofol in the Mechanically Ventilated CABG Patient: A Patient Perspective - Stephanie Mallow (2003)
- Study of Vancomycin Dosing in Slow-Low Efficient Daily Dialysis - Ceclia Lai (2002)
- Incidence of Nosocomial Pneumonia in Trauma Patient Receiving H2RA vs. Proton Pump Inhibitors in the ICU Setting - Stephanie Mallow (2002)
- Aminoglycoside Dosing Regimen in the Neonate - Katie Niemic (2001)
- Warfarin Counseling for Inpatients: Impact of the Pharmacist - Amanda Kennedy (2001)
Pharmacy Research in Progress:
- Vancomycin CQI - John Ahern, Eleanor Mesler, Catherine Marsh
- Accuracy of the Cockcroft-Gault Calculated CrCl in Critical Care
- Patients with Renal Dysfunction - Bruce Neale, Jill Rebuck
- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Pantoprazole IV in
- Critically Ill Patients at Risk for Stress Ulcers - Jill Rebuck
- Post-Trauma Splenectomy Patients: Evaluation of Patients'
- Infectious Risk Knowledge and Related Medical Practice -
- Stephanie Mallow and Jill Rebuck
- Prospective Evaluation of Minocycline, TMP-SMZ, and Rifampin
- Susceptibilities in MRSA - John Ahern