Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Learn About the 30-Year Knee
Fletcher Allen’s orthopedic surgeons offer the latest technology for active knee patients: the Smith & Nephew LEGION Cruciate Retaining Knee implant with FDA-cleared VERILAST Knee Technology. This implant is an innovative solution with the potential to double the life of traditional knee implants to 30 years, under normal conditions.
VERILAST Technology: Benefits
Unlike knee implants made from cobalt chrome metal and a high-density plastic, FDA-cleared VERILAST technology combines two revolutionary materials:
- Low-friction metal alloy OXINIUM, which is 4,900 times more abrasion resistant than cobalt chrome
- A highly cross-linked polyethylene plastic insert
By combining these two low-friction materials, the new knee implant device can significantly reduce the kind of wear that can cause an implant to wear out before its time.
30-Year Knee: Surgery at Fletcher Allen
Fletcher Allen orthopedic surgeons are the only providers in Burlington, Vermont offering Smith & Nephew’s LEGION Cruciate Retaining Knee implant with VERILAST Knee Technology.
What makes this new knee implant superior to traditional knee implants?
- Long-lasting. FDA-cleared VERILAST is the only knee technology laboratory tested for 30 simulated years of wear performance. This is a vast improvement over the current estimated implant lifespan of 10 to 15 years.
- Lighter. Materials are 20 percent lighter and dramatically smoother than conventional cobalt chrome implants.
- Hypoallergenic. The implant contains no nickel or chromium, materials that may cause problems for patients who have metal sensitivity.
Total Knee Replacement: Advanced Technology at Fletcher Allen
Our orthopedic surgeons combine VERILAST Technology with Smith & Nephew’s VISIONAIRE custom-fit surgical instrumentation system for knee replacement surgery.
We have been using VISIONAIRE technology since 2009; benefits include:
- Reduced anesthesia time
- Lower risk of infection
- Reduced risk of implant misalignment
- Reduced soft tissue and muscle damage
- Less pain during recovery
Together, the VERILAST and VISIONAIRE technologies offer patients a longer-lasting, more natural feeling knee joint with a shorter recovery period than traditional knee joint replacement options.
Contact Us About the 30-Year Knee
We are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.