Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Hip Arthritis Diagnosis
If you have hip pain that continues for more than two weeks, make an appointment with your doctor. Symptoms of arthritis of the hip include joint stiffness and pain, a sound or feeling of bone rubbing against bone, or the inability to perform routine tasks.
Diagnosing Arthritis of the Hip
Your doctor will begin the diagnosis by asking you about your symptoms and your medical and family history. We will also perform a thorough physical examination to determine how well your hip moves. Make sure to describe your symptoms thoroughly. Your doctor may want to know:
- When the pain started
- What movements make it worse
- How the pain affects your daily functioning
- If you experience pain at night
Other diagnostic procedures include:
- Laboratory tests - We may order a blood test to determine if the arthritis is caused by an infection or rheumatoid arthritis.
- Imaging tests - We use the most advanced imaging technology available. These procedures provide us with a detailed picture of the inside of your body. They help us determine if the problem is arthritis or if another condition is causing the pain. Imaging tests include:
Arthritis of the Hip: Treatment
Once we obtain an accurate diagnosis, we will create your individualized treatment plan. Treatment options include lifestyle changes, medication and surgery. Learn more about arthritis of the hip treatments.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-2663.