Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Neuromuscular Disorders Program
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- UHC Campus
- Arnold Building, Level 2
- 1 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05401
- Phone: 802-847-4589
- Fax: 802-847-2461
- Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM
Neuromuscular disorders are diseases that affect the nerve cells controlling muscle movement. They are neurodegenerative, which means they worsen over time. At our dedicated neuromuscular treatment center, our team of specialists helps you manage your disease, control your symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Neuromuscular Disease Treatment in Burlington, VT
At Fletcher Allen, we diagnose, treat and manage a wide range of neuromuscular diseases for both adults and children. We treat each patient with expertise and compassion. We don’t believe in “one-size-fits-all” care, and our specialists work with you to individualize your treatment. We offer:
- Two multidisciplinary Clinics - Our clinics, focusing on ALS and muscular dystrophy, provide advanced, specialized care for these diseases. Learn more about our multidisciplinary neuromuscular clinics.
- Experienced team - We have one of the most experienced neuromuscular teams in the region. All of our physicians are board-certified and completed additional training in neuromuscular disease treatment.
- Advanced Electrodiagnostic Lab - In our lab, we provide the most advanced diagnostic procedures. In fact, we are one of the few centers in the region to offer complete autonomic nervous system testing. We also perform electromyography (EMG) and nerve muscle and skin biopsies. The physicians in charge of our lab are specially trained in performing these complex procedures.
- Full Spectrum of Care - From the initial evaluation to treatment, we provide the full range of care for neuromuscular disorders, for adults and children. This includes medical and surgical management of your condition as well as ongoing therapy to improve your symptoms.
- Convenient, “One-Stop” Care - Whatever you need, we offer it here at Fletcher Allen. All of our testing and treatment is done onsite, to save you time and energy. In addition, if you need services in other departments at Fletcher Allen, we help you coordinate that care, including appointments and referrals. We work closely with other teams to ensure that you receive seamless, uninterrupted care.
- Ongoing Research - Today’s research is tomorrow’s more effective treatment. Our physicians are involved in ongoing neuromuscular research, investigating new treatment approaches for these conditions. We offer our patients access to some of the latest clinical trials in the field of neuromuscular diseases.
Neuromuscular Disease Management: The Fletcher Allen Approach
Neuromuscular conditions require the care of experts across many different fields. Our multidisciplinary clinics feature many types of specialists who collaborate to provide the highest level of care for you. In addition, we also partner with therapists at the Fanny Allen clinic who can provide additional therapeutic care when needed.
We provide two multidisciplinary clinics for treating neuromuscular disorders: [ANCHOR LINKS]
- ALS Clinic
- Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
Our ALS Association-sponsored clinic offers the full spectrum of care for ALS patients, from diagnosis to ongoing treatment and management. We have a patient-centered approach and encourage your active participation as part of your medical team. Your team may include:
- Nurse coordinator, who helps you navigate your medical journey, including referrals, appointments and follow up
- Palliative care nurse, whose focus is on your comfort and well-being
- Physical and occupational therapists, who help restore your function and movement
- Speech and language pathologists
- Respiratory therapy, for patients experiencing breathing problems
- Social worker
- Spiritual care providers
- Representatives from the ALS Association and the Muscular Dystrophy Association
The ALS team at Fletcher Allen is one of the most well staffed and experienced in the region. You may feel overwhelmed at the large number of specialists on your team, but you can feel confident that your care is always smooth and well coordinated. Our team members are in constant communication with each other so you continue to receive excellent care.
Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
We offer two clinics, for adult and pediatric muscular dystrophy, providing care for 26 disorders of the muscles and nerves. Both clinics are sponsored by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), which means that you have access to all the MDA resources possible. Our multidisciplinary clinic gathers experts from many different specialties in order to provide you with the most comprehensive, effective care possible. Our team includes:
- Board-certified physicians
- Nurse coordinator
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist
- Pediatric pulmonologists (lung specialists)
In addition, we work closely with the cardiology department, so our pediatric patients can receive the heart care they need from experienced pediatric cardiologists.
Neuromuscular Disorders We Treat
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or “Lou Gehrig's disease.”
- Adult and pediatric muscular dystrophy and other inherited muscle disorders
- Myasthenia gravis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Inflammatory myopathy (muscle disease)
Neuromuscular Disorders Treatments
Once we confirm your diagnosis, we create your individualized treatment plan. We use the latest available medical therapy to treat neuromuscular diseases.
- Immunomodulatory therapy
- Supportive care
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg)
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call us at 802-847-4589.