Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Cystic Fibrosis Diagnosis & Treatments
Cystic fibrosis management is complex, so getting treatment at a center that specializes in cystic fibrosis is the best option. Our Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic is held weekly on Friday mornings. We schedule four visits a year for every patient followed in our center. Routine care for our cystic fibrosis patients includes:
Cystic Fibrosis Diagnosis
Your doctor may prescribe any of the following tests since the cause could be cystic fibrosis if you have:
- Recurring cases of an inflamed pancreas (pancreatitis)
- Nasal polyps
- Chronic sinus or lung infections
- Male infertility
- Sweat test - your sweat is collected and tested to see if it's saltier than normal.
- Genetic testing - blood or saliva can be checked for the specific defective gene that’s responsible for cystic fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis Treatment in Burlington, VT
Cystic fibrosis treatment options at Fletcher Allen include:
- Medications, including:
- Chest physical therapy, including:
- Chest clapper - a hand-held machine that helps loosen mucus
- Inflatable vest - a device worn around the chest that vibrates at high frequency
- Breathing tools - typically a tube or mask that you exhale through while doing breathing exercises
- Oxygen therapy - breathing pure oxygen can help prevent high blood pressure in the lungs (also called pulmonary hypertension)
- Lung rehabilitation, including:
- Exercise training
- Nutritional counseling
- Techniques to save energy
- Breathing exercises
- Counseling or group support or both
- Surgical procedures, including:
- Nasal polyp removal: if your breathing is obstructed
- Endoscopy and lavage: mucus is suctioned from obstructed airways through an endoscope
- Feeding tube - a feeding tube can deliver extra nutrition while you sleep by threading the tube through your nose to your stomach or surgically implanted into the abdomen
- Bowel surgery - to remove a bowel blockage or if a section of bowel has folded in on itself
In May of 2005, a combined Cystic Fibrosis and Endocrine clinic was established to address the needs of the growing number of cystic fibrosis adult patients who also have diabetes. The clinic allows patients to see an endocrinologist and a pulmonary physician at the same visit.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-1158.