Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Pulmonary Hypertension Treatment
It is important that we have an accurate diagnosis before we start treatment for pulmonary hypertension. Our doctors work carefully to identify the underlying cause of the hypertension. Then, we can tailor your treatment plan effectively. We will discuss all of your treatment options with you and answer any questions you may have.
Pulmonary Hypertension Treatment in Burlington, VT
We are committed to the comprehensive evaluation and care of adults with primary and secondary pulmonary hypertension. We identify the cause of the pulmonary hypertension and treat reversible conditions. For severe pulmonary hypertension, we may recommend specialized medication. Our experienced physicians will determine which treatment is appropriate for you.
Treatment options include:
- Other treatments
Medication for Pulmonary Hypertension
You may be a candidate for advanced medical therapy that directly lowers the blood pressure in your pulmonary arteries. These medications can reduce symptoms and may prevent the condition from progressing.
- Flolan® (epoprostenol sodium), an intravenous medication
- Remodulin® (treprostinil), a subcutaneous (under the skin) medication
- Tracleer® (bosentan), an oral pill; you must be enrolled in a special program to receive it
Other Treatments for Pulmonary Hypertension
- Sometimes, you may find relief from your symptoms through these treatment methods:
- Exercise reduces shortness of breath and can help you be more active
- Inhaled oxygen improves shortness of breath and also help those with chronic lung disease to live longer
- Blood thinners help those who have blood clots in the lungs
Surgery for Pulmonary Hypertension
If you have advanced pulmonary hypertension, you may not find relief from medication. You may be a candidate for a surgical procedure. Fletcher Allen physicians may recommend:
- Lung transplantation - In this procedure, we implant lungs and pulmonary arteries from a donor
- Atrial septostomy - Your surgeon creates an opening between the chambers on either side of the heart. While it may improve symptoms, this surgery has serious side effects. Your health care team will discuss the risks and benefits of this particular procedure.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-4600.