Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Otolaryngology in Burlington, VT
Problems that affect the ears, nose and throat are treated in Fletcher Allen's Otolaryngology clinic in Burlington, VT. Otolaryngologists -- surgeons who specialize in disorders of the ears, nose and throat -- are also known as ENTs.
Comprehensive Otolaryngology Services
- Besides providing general management of disorders of the head and neck, special services in otology, neurotology, and skull-base surgery are available. Facial, plastic, and reconstructive surgery is performed by a fellowship trained surgeon.
- Benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck are managed both surgically and with a multidisciplinary approach. Endocrine disorders and tumors of the thyroid and parathyroid glands are treated with current surgical technology including diagnostic ultrasound.
- Otolaryngologic diseases of the paranasal sinuses are managed medically with allergy testing and desensitization and surgical intervention with both open and functional endoscopic surgical techniques.
- A fellowship trained pediatric otolaryngologist provides a broad range of services to include the surgical management of the compromised upper airway.
- A comprehensive voice and laryngology program provides videostroboscopy and all aspects of laryngeal surgery.
- An audiology and vestibular testing facility under the direction of three masters-trained audiologists provides complete diagnostic service and patient recommendations for effective amplification.
Otolaryngology Procedures and Treatments
Head and Neck Ongology
In conjunction with the departments of Radiation Oncology and Medical Oncology, patients with malignant head and neck tumors are reviewed in a multidisciplinary conference and are co-managed.
A unique selective chemotherapy infusion program (RADPLAT) in the treatment of advanced head and neck tumors is fully operational and cooperatively structured through interventional radiology, medical oncology, and radiation oncology.
Fletcher Allen is one of a just a few medical centers in the nation to offer this therapeutic modality.
Disorders of the skull base such as pituitary tumors, posterior fossa neoplasms, temporal bone lesions, and tumors of the anterior skull base are treated surgically through joint collaboration with Fletcher Allen's division of Neurosurgery.
A comprhensive Cochlear Implant Program, in the management of profound sensorineural hearing loss, utilizes the resources of surgical technology, audiology, deaf educators, and social services providers.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Patients with obstructive sleep apnea are cared for jointly by Fletcher Allen's departments of Pulmonary Medicine and Neurology. Patients unable to be managed with positive pressure ventilation (CPAP) are referred for management with a variety of surgical techniques, including nasal septoplasty, UVPP, and tongue advancement techniques.
Facial Reconstruction after MOHS Surgery
This collaborative service exists in conjunction with Fletcher Allen's division of Dermatology. Special reconstructive problems are discussed and shared between the MOHS chemosurgeon and the otolaryngologic facial plastic surgeon.
Laryngology and Voice Program
A laryngologist, speech and language pathologists, and consultants from the vocal arts provide a unique collaborative project for the management of dysphonia.
In addition, Botox injection into the vocalis muscle is performed in conjunction with EMG monitoring with a staff neurologist.
Endocrine Disorders and Tumors
In conjunction with Fletcher Allen's division of Endocrinology in the department of Medicine, patients with thyroid malignancy are jointly managed to include provisions for adjunctive radioactive iodine and special follow-up considerations such as Thyrogen stimulation.
Focused parathyroid surgery utilizing intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay is a unique management option.
Learn More About Otolaryngology at Fletcher Allen
Explore this site for more information about our comprehensive eye, ear, nose and throat care services. You can also call Fletcher Allen Otolaryngology at 802-847-4535, Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm.