Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Hearing Loss Treatments
Hearing Loss Treatment in Burlington, VT
Hearing loss treatment depends on your specific diagnosis. Options at Fletcher Allen include:
- Earwax removal
- Hearing aids
- Cochlear implant - for cases of severe hearing loss. Discuss the risks and benefits of this option with an audiologist and the ears, nose and throat (ENT) specialist doctor.
Hearing Aid Prescription and Dispensing Services
If you have hearing loss, you may benefit from using hearing aids. Our audiologists partner with you to ensure you receive the highest quality services. We dispense hearing aids with the latest technology from manufacturers with excellent, longstanding reputations in the field.
We do not represent a particular hearing aid company. This allows us to choose from a wide range of available hearing aids and hearing technologies in order to meet each patient’s specific needs. Hearing aids are dispensed on a 45-day trial period and can be returned during this period for a refund, minus a nominal fee.
The Audiology Center is authorized to provide hearing aid services for private pay and third party payers (Medicaid, Vocational Rehabilitation, Children with Special Health Needs and various private insurers).
- Hearing Aid Selection – Following a hearing loss diagnosis, the audiologist will discuss the benefits and limitations of hearing aid use with you. They will help you choose a hearing aid suited to your level of need, budget and lifestyle.
- Hearing aid fitting – We work closely with you to provide a device that is comfortable and beneficial. We teach you proper care and use procedures and counsel you towards successful outcomes, following best-practice guidelines developed by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. In doing so, we verify that the hearing aid provides the proper amplification for your hearing loss and lifestyle.
- Hearing Aid Follow-Up - To be sure the hearing aids work properly, re-check appointments are scheduled, giving you an opportunity for adjustments or modifications.
- Hearing Aid Servicing – Our Audiology Assistant offers cleaning and other minor in-house repairs for hearing aids in an efficient and timely manner.
- Assistive Listening Devices (ALD) – The benefit of your hearing aid may be minimized by the noise of your listening environment. ALDs can often be used along with hearing aids to help reduce problems caused by background noise. We can help determine if an ALD might be beneficial, and then help fit and adjust the device.
- Hearing Preservation and Conservation – We are dedicated to working with anyone who is interested in preserving their hearing: musicians, motorcyclists, hunters, construction workers and others. We have a wide variety of solutions to help reduce the side effects of noise. We also offer every day solutions for customizing the fit of MP3 players, cell phone/Bluetooth technology and other listening devices.
Hearing Loss Simulation
Hearing loss simulation – experience different types of hearing loss.
Online Hearing Check
An online hearing check lets you quickly assess your need for an objective hearing test and consultation by a hearing health professional.
Learn more about hearing loss diagnosis.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-3970.