Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Portal Hypertension Diagnosis
If you have portal hypertension, you need the care and expertise of a specialized group of physicians who work together as a team to provide advanced care.
Diagnosing Portal Hypertension at Fletcher Allen
Fletcher Allen’s physicians are specially trained in advanced technology to diagnose portal hypertension.
Endoscopy is any procedure performed using a small, flexible tube (called endoscope) with a tiny camera on the end. The endoscope is inserted into the throat, allowing doctors to see the esophagus, stomach and small intestine. Endoscopy identifies any gastro-esophageal problems.
- Imaging tests - Your doctor may order any of the following, which take pictures of the inside of your body:
- Physical exam
- Blood tests may indicate problems with your liver function.
- Biopsy to remove a sample of tissue for analysis in a laboratory. We perform this procedure one of two ways:
- Fine-needle aspiration: Removal of tissue using a thin needle
- Core biopsy: Removal of tissue using a wide needle
Learn more about treatment for portal hypertension.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-8865.