Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Minimally Invasive Pediatric Urology Surgery
The precise control that robotic-assisted surgery provides is ideal for delicate procedures on smaller patients. It also has the potential to reduce physical and emotional stress for children and their families.
Robotic-Assisted Pediatric Urologic Surgery
The use of robotic-assisted surgery in the treatment of children is one of the most compelling applications of robotic-assisted surgery. The minimization of trauma, incision size and the resulting scarring are significant advantages provided by a less invasive surgical approach. Robotic-assisted surgery provides the further advantages of a motion scaling and tremor reduction that are critical in work in and around the small anatomical structures of infants and children.
At the Vermont Children’s Hospital at Fletcher Allen, we are successfully integrating robotics into our treatment of pediatric urologic conditions, allowing us to extend the benefits of minimally invasive procedures to children and their families.
At Fletcher Allen, we perform the following procedures for children:
- Kidney: Pyeloplasty, nephrectomy (benign and malignant disease), partial nephrectomy, ureteroccalycostomy ureteroureterostomy (both for ureteral reconstruction)
- Ureter: intra- and extravesicle reimplant surgery (for urinary reflux and ureterovesicle junction blockage and megaureter)
- Bladder: Robotic-assisted bladder augmentation, excision of bladder diverticulum, cystolithotomy (for bladder stone removal)
- Other: construction of a Mitrofanoff or ACE stoma channel for children to catheterize the bladder or colon in cases of neurogenic bowel and bladder
Pediatric Surgical Benefits of Robotic-Assisted Surgery
- Improved dexterity
- Enhanced 3D visualization
- Increased range of motion
- Improved access
Pediatric Patient Benefits
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less post-operative pain
- Less risk of infection
- Less blood loss and need for transfusions
- Less scarring and improved cosmesis
- Faster recovery and quicker return to normal activities
Find a da Vinci-trained Fletcher Allen pediatric surgeon.