Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Treatments
Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Treatment in Burlington, VT
Cystic fibrosis treatment options at Fletcher Allen include:
- Medications, including:
- Chest physical therapy, including:
- Chest clapper - a hand-held machine that helps loosen mucus
- Inflatable vest - a device worn around the chest that vibrates at high frequency
- Breathing tools - typically a tube or mask that your child exhales through while doing breathing exercises
- Oxygen therapy - breathing pure oxygen can help prevent high blood pressure in the lungs (also called pulmonary hypertension)
- Lung rehabilitation, including:
- Exercise training
- Nutritional counseling
- Techniques to save energy
- Breathing exercises
- Counseling or group support or both
- Surgical procedures, including:
- Nasal polyp removal: if your child’s breathing is obstructed
- Endoscopy and lavage: mucus is suctioned from obstructed airways through an endoscope
- Feeding tube - a feeding tube can deliver extra nutrition while your child sleeps by threading the tube through his or her nose to the stomach or surgically implanted into the abdomen
- Bowel surgery - to remove a bowel blockage or if a section of bowel has folded in on itself
Vermont Children's Hospital at Fletcher Allen has a Patient and Family Advisory, allowing us to hear ideas for improvement directly from those we serve. If you are interested in participating, or learning more about the advisory, please call 802-847-8600.
Learn more about Pediatric Cystic Firbrosis diagnosis.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-8600.