Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Urethral Cancer Diagnosis
Urethral cancer symptoms can also result from more common conditions, making urethral cancer diagnosis expertise vital. Facing a cancer diagnosis is never easy. You want to be sure you have the latest treatments, the most effective technology and a skilled and supportive team of caregivers. At Fletcher Allen, you will find each one of these in our urologic oncology team.
Diagnosing Urethral Cancer at Fletcher Allen
Our knowledgeable urologists are specially trained in advanced technology. Urethral cancer diagnosis may include:
- Ureteroscopy: This procedure uses a lighted, magnifying instrument (ureteroscope) to check the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder (ureter) and the area at the center of the kidney where urine collects before it funnels into the ureter (renal pelvis) for abnormal areas.
- Biopsy: Sometimes ureteroscopy includes a biopsy, which is removing a sample of urethral, bladder and/or prostate gland tissue for analysis in a laboratory by a pathologist.
- Urine test and/or urine cytology – a urine sample is analyzed under a microscope to check for cancer cells.
- Imaging, such as:
- Pelvic exam: The doctor or nurse examines a woman’s reproductive and other organs in the pelvis including the vagina, cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and rectum.
- Digital rectal examination
- Complete blood count
Learn more about urethral cancer treatment.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 877-540-HOPE(4673).