Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Sarcoma Diagnosis and Treatments
Sarcoma includes such a wide range of cancers; you’ll need the guidance and expertise of doctors that specialize in diagnosing and treating bone cancer and soft tissue sarcoma. If your sarcoma treatment includes surgery, you’ll feel more comfortable with board-certified orthopedic surgeons that have additional specialty training in adult and pediatric oncology.
Our specialist physicians will start with the least invasive tests to get an accurate sarcoma diagnosis. Some tests include:
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- Imaging, such as:
- Biopsy: removing a sample of tissue for analysis in a laboratory
- Needle biopsy
- Fine-needle aspiration: the removal of tissue or fluid using a thin needle
- Core biopsy: the removal of tissue using a wide needle
- Surgical biopsy
- Excisional biopsy: the removal of an entire lump of tissue
- Incisional biopsy: the removal of part of a lump or sample of tissue
- Needle biopsy
Sarcoma Treatment at Fletcher Allen
Sarcoma treatment options at Fletcher Allen are based on the type of cancer you have, its size and location, the stage of the cancer, your overall health and your preferences.
Most soft tissue sarcoma and bone cancer treatment plans involve any one of the following or a combination of these treatments:
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 802-847-2663.