Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Head and Neck Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
If you have head and neck cancer, you need the care and expertise of a specialized group of physicians who work together as a team to provide advanced care.
Patient case presentations are first discussed in a treatment planning conference attended by specialists in head and neck surgery, medical oncology and radiation oncology. New patients are then seen immediately following the conference.
Head and Neck Cancer Diagnosis
The diagnostic tests that are right for you will depend on the type of head and neck cancer that you have. Your doctor may recommend any of the following:
- Physical exam - Your doctor will examine your head and neck to feel for any lumps, swelling or abnormalities
- Blood tests - Sometimes blood work can show signs of cancer
- Imaging studies, including:
- Computed Tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Minimally invasive biopsies - At Fletcher Allen, our doctors try to use minimally invasive biopsies, using an ultrasound-guided needle to take a sample of tissue to look for signs of cancer. This way you don’t have to undergo a major surgery.
The combination of all your tests will tell your doctors if you need treatment for head and neck cancer. We deliver efficient patient care through a concerted effort to complete all necessary diagnostic testing prior to your first visit. This enables us to provide you with a clear treatment plan at the end of your first clinic visit.
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in Burlington, VT
The Clinic offers leading-edge technology in the staging and treatment of head and neck cancers, including:
- Multimodality treatment plans
- Chemotherapy and targeted therapy
We also offer patients the opportunity to participate in a broader array of the latest clinical trials in head and neck cancer and in symptom management.
Find a Fletcher Allen physician or call 1-877-540-HOPE (4673).