Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Spiritual Care Department
The mission of the Spiritual Care Department is to encourage, support and enable the integration and provision of spiritual care and well being in every aspect of Fletcher Allen activities.
The Spiritual Care Department contributes to the health and well-being of patients, families and staff by providing emotional and spiritual support, especially in times of crisis, chronic illness or imminent death.
The Spiritual Care staff is comprised of qualified Roman Catholic and Interfaith chaplains, trained Interfaith Volunteer Chaplains and chaplain interns training in our nationally accredited Clinical Pastoral Education Program. A number of volunteers assist the staff in bringing Communion and visiting patients.
Spiritual Care activities include:
- Pastoral visits to patients and families
- Consultation for spiritual component of total patient care
- Sacramental ministry
- Spiritual assistance in emergency situations
- Support in times of decision-making
- Ministry to grieving and bereaved persons
- Pastoral support for staff
- Short-term pastoral counseling and referrals
- Regular worship services
- Special worship services to meet particular needs within organization
- Networking with community clergy
- Educational events and workshops
- The Clinical Pastoral Education Program
- Providing Bibles and other spiritual literature and lending books from the SRC Library
- Providing information on the multi-cultural/spiritual traditions of religious faith-groups
- Healing Touch Services
- Reiki Services
- Annual Infant Burial Service
- Annual Memorial Service
A Chaplain is available 24 hours a day.
For urgent referrals in house, contact the chaplain by pager:
Call the House Operator at 802-847-0000 and ask to speak with the Interfaith or Roman Catholic Chaplain on call.
For non-urgent referrals and general information:
Phone the Spiritual Care Department at 802-847-2770, located on Baird 223, Medical Center Campus.
Medical Center Campus: McClure Building, Level 1
Fanny Allen Campus: Between the Convent and the Hospital.
You are welcome to come to pray, meditate or simply seek peace any time day or night. Regular service times are posted.