Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Billing and Payment Information
After each visit, Fletcher Allen Health Care will file health insurance claims directly with your primary insurance company and, if appropriate, your secondary insurance payer. Any payments and/or outstanding balances not paid by your insurance payer will be billed to you directly. If your insurance payer does not respond within 60 days of receipt of the claim, we may notify you and ask that you contact your insurance payer on our behalf.
Fletcher Allen Health Care will bill health insurance plans as a courtesy for our patients if the patient provides the required insurance information and signs an Assignment of Benefits form (AOB). If you have no health insurance, please notify Registration at the time of service as you may be eligible for an uninsured patient discount. Please note, there may be 3 separate bills generated for your care; Hospital, Physician and Anesthesia.
A hospital bill will be filed with your insurance company for technical services. This includes; outpatient ancillary (lab, radiology, etc.), outpatient procedures/services/therapies, surgical and medical procedures and inpatient hospitalization. After discharge, Patient Financial Services will file an appropriate claim with the applicable insurance companies. Once the claim has been paid, any balances remaining will billed to you directly for payment on a 28-day billing cycle. View a sample of the Hospital Billing statement.
A physician bill will be filed with your insurance company for the evaluation, management and expertise for the care provided. This includes; physician evaluation, care, consultation, order management, testing interpretation and where applicable basic office procedures. After care is provided, the Patient Revenue Department will file an appropriate claim with the applicable insurance companies. Once the claim has paid, any balances remaining will be billed to you directly for payment on a 28 day billing cycle. View a sample of the Physician Billing statement.
When a procedure requires the services of an anesthesiologist, a separate bill will be generated for the anesthesia care provided. The anesthesia billing office will file the appropriate insurance claim and once paid, forward the remaining balance to you directly for payment. Should you have any questions regarding this bill, please contact the customer service number listed on the statement. View a sample of the Anesthesia Billing statement.
Samples of Patient Statements:
- Sample Anesthesia Billing Statement
- Sample Hospital Billing Statement
- Sample Physician Billing Statement
- Once all health insurances have paid their portion of charges, Fletcher Allen Health Care will send you a patient statement showing all current amounts due from you.
- Fletcher Allen Health Care will continue sending patient statements approximately 28 days apart until the balance for each account has been paid in full. If payment in full or payment on an established payment plan is not received within 28 days of statement billing, the account will age. Should payment not be received within 3 (28) day billing cycles, your account will be referred to an outside collection agency. Please contact our Customer Service department as soon as possible to prevent this referral.
- Payment in full is expected with each statement.
- Charges or credits applied to your account after the statement date will appear on your next statement.
- Contact your insurance company with any insurance questions you may have.
- Your monthly patient statement will provide details of new activity and existing activity on your account. If you make a payment, the next statement will reflect that payment. Payments that are mailed with the remittance coupon will be posted to the oldest account first to prevent aging to collections (First In/First Out).
- If at any time during the statement process you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service department. Our staff is ready to assist you with questions regarding billed charges, third-party billing (government and commercial insurance carriers), balances due from patients, payment arrangements, account changes or updates and requests for financial assistance.
Staff are available by phone and in person:
- The main telephone number is (802) 847-8000, or toll-free at (800) 639-2719, or via email at email@example.com
- Our Customer Service telephone lines are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Our office at the Medical Center Campus, located in the Main Pavilion, Level 3 is open for walk-ins from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Fletcher Allen Health Care, Inc., accepts the following methods of payment:
- Personal check
- Traveler's check
- Money order
- Credit card
All Fletcher Allen Health Care locations accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover and some locations accept debit cards. Please note: ATMs are available at many sites.
If payment in full presents a hardship, please be aware we offer payment plans and financial assistance.
Financial Assistance and Government Assistance Programs
If you are uninsured, you will be eligible to receive financial assistance through Vermont Health Connect. Please visit www.vermonthealthconnect.gov to learn more about your eligibility.
If you are uninsured, underinsured, ineligible for a government program or otherwise unable to pay for medically necessary care based upon an individual financial situation, please visit our Financial Assistance site.
|Sample Statement - Anesthesia||Download PDF|
|Sample Statement - Hosptial||Download PDF|
|Sample Statement - Physician||Download PDF|
Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF documents