Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
End of Life Care Decisions Helpful Steps
In the event a patient is unable to speak for themselves, an Advance Directive communicates how medical care choices should be made and who should make them.
Advance Directive Steps
1. The Vermont Ethics Network website offers information and the necessary forms to complete an Advance Directive for Health Care (formerly known as a “Living Will”). This documents allow an individual to provide instructions regarding the following:
- Appointment of a Health Care Agent (also known as Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care or Health Care Proxy).
- Health Care Goals and Spiritual Wishes
- Limitations of Treatment preferences at the end-of-life
- Organ/Tissue Donation & Burial/Disposition of Remains
- Signature and Witnessing
2. Register your advance directive with the Vermont Department of Health's Advance Care Directives Directory (VADR).* (While optional, registering is encouraged as it allows for immediate access when needed.)
- Please note that at this time, COLST (Clinician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) and DNR (Do Not Resuscitate Order) orders are not authorized to be submitted to the Vermont Advance Directive Registry.
3. Communicate your health care decisions and guidance for end of life care with your family and your primary care physician. Talk with them about your preferences regarding:
- End of Life Treatment Wishes which may include Comfort Care Orders, Ventilation, Nutrition/Hydration - Tube Feeding, Dialysis)
- Do Not Resuscitate Orders
- Organ and Tissue Donation
- Disposition after Death Wishes
If sending Advance Directive information to Fletcher Allen directly, contact the Health Information Office (Medical Records Office), Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm at 802-847-2846.
Writing an Advance Directive
The Fletcher Allen health library offers step-by-step instructions on “Writing an Advance Directive.”
Additional Fletcher Allen Resources
For more information about additional services at Fletcher Allen, please see the following:
- Fletcher Allen Clinical Ethics Consultation Service
- Fletcher Allen Spiritual Care Department
- Fletcher Allen Palliative Medicine