Find out how collaboration played a role in helping Michelle survive a killer stroke.
"The doctor said, 'I get one miracle a year and you're it.'"
The only one of its kind in the area, Fletcher Allen's Stroke Center offers comprehensive care from acute care services to prevention and rehabilitation, all centered around your needs.
We provide optimal stroke care in a team approach that brings together a range of physicians and specialists under one roof so you don't have to travel far to get the care you need.
Find out more about The Stroke Center at Fletcher Allen.
5 Tips for Lowering Your Stroke Risk
Up to 80% of strokes can be prevented. The Stroke Center at Fletcher Allen offers education and wellness programs designed to help prevent and reduce the risk of stroke and other health related concerns. Here are 7 actions you can take to help lower your risk of a stroke:
- Quit Smoking – Smoking doubles the risk of having a stroke because it damages blood vessel walls, speeds up artery clogging, raises blood pressure and makes the heart work harder. Fletcher Allen offers a Tobacco Cessation Program for patients looking to quit smoking.
- Limit Alcohol Consumption – In many studies alcohol has been linked to strokes. Drink only in moderation.
- Manage Your Blood Pressure – High blood pressure forces the heart to pump harder to move blood through the body, and is considered a major stroke risk. Get your blood pressure checked on a yearly basis. Our doctors will work with you to find the right treatments to help control your blood pressure and decrease your risk of a stroke.
- Regularly Eat a Healthy Diet – Because excess weight strains the circulatory system, regular exercise and the proper diet can help reduce your risk of stroke. A healthy diet includes eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other high-fiber foods. Choose foods that are low in saturated fat, trans-fat and cholesterol.
- Maintain a Healthy Cholesterol Level - High cholesterol can cause a buildup of deposits in the arteries called plaques. These can block blood flow to the brain causing a stroke. Get your cholesterol checked on a yearly basis.
These are only a few ways to prevent the risk of a stroke. The Stroke Center at Fletcher Allen offers comprehensive care from prevention to rehabilitation with treatment options catered to your needs. Call 802-847-4589 for more information.