Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Eating Disorders: Things That Put a Person at Risk
Certain needs, fears, family dynamics, and ways of communicating, thinking, and feeling put a person at greater risk of developing an eating disorder such as anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating. Some of these include:1
- Low self-esteem.
- Difficulty communicating negative emotions, such as anger, sadness, or fear.
- Difficulty dealing with conflict.
- A need to please others.
- Perfectionism or always striving to be the best at whatever he or she does.
- A need to be in control.
- A need for attention.
- Troubled relationship with parents (although it may seem that the relationship is close).
- Problems separating from or being independent of the family.
- High expectations from family.
- Fear or ambivalence about growing up or developing sexually—including changes to the body during puberty.
- Struggles or fears with demands to be more independent and self-sufficient.
- Problems with identity—not certain of who he or she is or where he or she is going in life.
However irrational, an eating disorder brings a sense of identity, achievement, and power to certain people who have these personality traits.
A small number of people who have eating disorders also have been sexually or physically abused. They may seek to control their environment by controlling their food intake.
People who have eating disorders may also:
- Have problems with moods, particularly depression.
- Act more childish than other children or teens who are the same age.
- Have difficulty getting along with other people, because of either irritability or an inability to interact socially.
- Have rituals or require that things be done in a particular order every time (obsessive-compulsive traits).
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||W. Stewart Agras, MD, FRCPC - Psychiatry|
|Current as of||August 27, 2013|
Current as of: August 27, 2013
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.