Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
It’s an honor to serve as interim Chair of a surgical team known for providing world class service to our patients, offering high quality education to our residents and students, and discovering and transmitting knowledge in an environment of integrity, understanding and compassion.
The Department of Surgery at Fletcher Allen Health Care and the University of Vermont is recognized nationally and internationally for our surgical outcomes, the excellence of our residency and fellowship training, and advanced basic scientific and clinical research.
Technology and expertise
Our team of nearly 95 faculty members, in 15 surgical divisions, have a strong commitment to putting our patients first, and have a focus on academic medicine, allows us to foster leading-edge research and innovation. Examples include:
- Da Vinci Robot Surgical suite for complex procedures.
- National leaders in transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM) for excision of rectal cancers and polyps.
- Continued expansion of small incision surgery and TAVI (transarterial valvular implantation) procedures. Fletcher Allen is one of a select group of 45 clinical sites participating in a U.S. clinical trial.
- Local anesthesia for pediatric surgery cases.
- A Gold and Bronze star for our outcomes in renal and pancreatic transplantation.
- National leaders in head and neck ultrasound.
Additionally, we’ve recently received recognition from US News and World Report for Otolaryngology as one of six “high-performing” specialties at Fletcher Allen. Eight of our faculty were named to the “top doctors” list and six were listed as “top 1%.”
- The Clinical Simulation Laboratory - a collaboration with University of Vermont’s College of Medicine and College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Ongoing coordination with the Division of Trauma - contributed to successful recertification as Vermont’s only Level I Trauma Center.
A Children’s Hospital that was nationally recognized by US News and World Report.
Our surgeons’ commitment extends beyond Vermont and northern New York through their humanitarian work. Teams of physicians, physician assistants and nurses from Fletcher Allen offered their expertise in Haiti, Guatemala, and Nigeria. The surgical focus of a few of our physicians is Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF or Doctors Without Borders).
We are proud to be part of Vermont’s academic medical center. Learn more about our education and research initiatives at University of Vermont College of Medicine.
We strive to put the patient first in everything that we do by excelling in quality care and medicine.
Marion Everett Couch, MD, PhD, MBA, FACS
Interim Chair, Surgery, Fletcher Allen Health Care
Professor and Director, Head & Neck Research, University of Vermont College of Medicine