Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
History of Fletcher Allen - A Legacy of Caring
Fletcher Allen, its three founding organizations and the University of Vermont College of Medicine, share a rich history dating back to the 1800s.
Medical Center Hospital of Vermont
Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, formerly Mary Fletcher Hospital, traces its roots back to 1876 when Mary Fletcher, a young woman who never enjoyed good health, announced her intention to build a hospital in Burlington. It was to be the first hospital in Vermont. She named the hospital, which opened in 1879, after her mother, Mary L. Fletcher. It was renamed Medical Center Hospital of Vermont in 1967. Located at 111 Colchester Avenue on a hill overlooking Lake Champlain to the west and the Green Mountains to the east, is now Fletcher Allen's Medical Center Campus.
Fanny Allen Hospital
The Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph founded the Fanny Allen Hospital in 1894. They named their hospital after a remarkable young woman named Frances Margaret Allen, better known as Fanny Allen, who completed her education in Montreal where she converted to Catholicism. Daughter of the famed Ethan Allen, defender of the Green Mountain State, the American nun nursed wounded soldiers in the War of 1812. Fanny Allen Hospital, located at 790 College Parkway in Colchester, one exit north of Burlington on Interstate 89, is now referred to as Fletcher Allen's Fanny Allen Campus.
University Health Center
The University Health Center was formed in 1971 when the need for a coordinated program to teach ambulatory care to medical students encouraged the historic joining of 10 specialty practice groups under one roof. UHC is located in the former Bishop DeGoesbriand hospital, which opened in 1924. Located at 1 South Prospect Street in Burlington, just a five-minute walk from the Medical Center Campus, University Health Center is now referred to as Fletcher Allen's UHC Campus.
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine was established in 1822 as the nation's seventh medical school, but the college's roots reach back to 1804, when Dr. John Pomeroy began instructing students in his home on Burlington's waterfront. The college Dr. Pomeroy helped found now enjoys a strong reputation for graduating physicians with superlative clinical skills. These graduates, combined with physicians who received their residency training at Fletcher Allen or its forbearers, now account for nearly half of the physicians practicing in Vermont. The UVM College of Medicine is located adjacent to Fletcher Allen's Medical Center Campus, making it easy for students to walk between facilities.