Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
The Victoria Buffum Endowment Fund
Victoria (Vicki) Buffum was an amazing woman who lost her battle with cancer in 2002 at the age of 58. During her cancer journey she touched the lives of many and was loved by all. She always brought out the best in people and inspired all of those she came in contact with to think creatively and to reach out to others.
During her own experience as a patient at the Hematology/Oncology Clinic at Fletcher Allen, she became devoted to trying to improve the experience associated with a catastrophic illness such as cancer. Vicki wanted to see the process of moving through the medical care process become more "patient friendly" and focused on patients and families. She wanted to ease the burden of individuals (and their families) trying to understand their illness and move through the challenges of treatment. Her goal was to support programs that would help facilitate the way that the Hematology/Oncology Division at Fletcher Allen Health Care delivers care to patients and their families.
The Victoria Buffum Endowment was funded through the personal philanthropy of Victoria Buffum, a cancer patient treated at Fletcher Allen who died from the disease in 2002, at age 58. Following Victoria’s gift, friends and family and VCC clinicians established a committee to review the distributions from the endowment, aligned and united by Victoria’s mission and commitment to cancer patient support. Applications may be written for programs or projects directed at providing resources or services for patients and families. Applications must address the goals of the endowment listed below:
- The development of education and training modules that foster patient/health care provider communications.
- The development of educational programs focusing on patient and family issues related to blood diseases and cancer.
- Pilot funding for no more than 3 years.
- Projects from health care providers for supportive care research
- Development of patient support groups focusing on different blood and cancer disease sites.
- Development of educational outreach programs within the community and region promoting a multitude of cancer care issues.
- Development of patient-friendly environment to promote the above goals and facilitate patient/caregiver interactions.
If you would like learn more about the Victoria Buffum Endowment Fund and contribute to making an impact by improving the cancer patient experience, please contact Manon O’Connor, Senior Director, Development at the Vermont Cancer Center at 802-656-4471 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See a list of projects made possible by the Victoria Buffum Endowment Fund.
|The Victoria Buffum Endowment Fund Application Packet||Download PDF|
Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF documents