Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Cardiology and Philanthropy
When it comes to your heart, no one wants to take chances. You want the very best care from experienced, highly trained professionals.
At Fletcher Allen, we are committed to the highest standard of cardiac care. As a nationally recognized academic medical center providing high-quality cardiac care, we are uniquely positioned to meet the needs of each and every heart patient we see.
We do this in many ways:
- The experienced, highly trained cardiologists at our academic medical center include national and international leaders in the field offering patients the latest treatments and technologies in cardiac medicine.
- Mortality rates from heart attack at Fletcher Allen are about half that of the national average and well below the top 10 percent of hospitals as reported by national agencies. This has led to Vermont's being ranked as one of the top five states in the country for heart attack survival.
- Our "door-to-balloon" time – the average time from a patient's arrival in the emergency room until they have a blocked artery opened with angioplasty and stenting – is among the best in the nation.
- Our heart rhythm specialists are internationally recognized for their research. Physicians from all over the country and around the world come to them to learn about the treatments they are pioneering.
- Thomson Reuters, a leading source of information for businesses and professionals, named Fletcher Allen as one of the top 100 hospitals in the country for cardiovascular care.
Looking to the Future
Through the accomplishments of our Cardiology team, we are providing cardiac care that is among the best in the country. But we can't stop there.
Cardiovascular disease continues to be the number one killer of men and women in the United States—claiming more lives each year than the next five leading causes of death combined.
As the U.S. population continues to age, more people are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease. This year alone, more than 2 million men, women and children in the U.S. are expected to be diagnosed with cardiac problems and cardiovascular disease. As the numbers climb, there is an increasing need for new scientific research and innovative medical therapies to fight this disease.
Areas of Focus for Cardiology
- Heart Attack – we have developed a regional system for rapid and effective treatment of patients who are having a STEMI heart attack. This ground-breaking protocol is part of the reason Vermont is among the top states in the country for heart attack survival.
- Electrophysiology – our research efforts further the understanding of heart rhythm disorders and improve the treatment options for our patients – and patients around the world.
- Heart Failure – in coordination with the state of Vermont's Blueprint for Health, we are developing a statewide registry program designed to ensure that all heart failure patients receive optimal care and support that will reduce hospitalizations and improve quality of life.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation – our research is advancing the techniques used for cardiac rehabilitation with the aim of reducing patients' risk of repeat heart attack.
How You Can Help
We hope you will join us by supporting these efforts, and helping us in the fight against cardiovascular-related death and disease. With your help, we can save even more lives, as we discover new ways to improve the health of people throughout our community and region.
To find out more about how you can support Cardiology at Fletcher Allen Health Care, contact the Development Office at (802) 847-2887 or via email email@example.com, or consider making your gift today.