Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
PRISM: Fletcher Allen's Electronic Health Record
Our advanced electronic health record system, designed to enhance your care experience, has earned Fletcher Allen consecutive awards from U.S. News & World Report. The “Most Connected” designation is for hospitals leading in the nation in the adoption of electronic medical records.
Called PRISM (Patient Record and Information Systems Management), our electronic medical records help Fletcher Allen achieve its vision of an Integrated Delivery System which provides high value health care to the communities we serve and enhances our academic mission. Utilizing electronic health records is a critical, clinical process that helps us improve quality and enhance safety while protecting the security and confidentiality of our patients' health information.
What is an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system?
In an EHR system, all of your health information, including your medical charts, treatment notes, medication lists and prescription orders, are converted from paper files to a single electronic record housed on a computer-based software application.
Your EHR can be retrieved by your care providers who are authorized to access the record, enabling all providers on your care team – whether at Fletcher Allen or practicing in the community – to collaborate to ensure seamless care.
What is PRISM (Patient Record and Information Systems Management)?
PRISM is an institution-wide system that allows patients' clinical information to be electronically stored, updated and accessed instantaneously throughout Fletcher Allen, largely replacing the paper medical record in use today.
The PRISM project serves all of Fletcher Allen's more than 30 facilities in Vermont, including the approximately 750 physicians who are credentialed at Fletcher Allen – nearly one-half of the physicians practicing in Vermont. PRISM will be compatible with other health records systems in the state, making it a critical element in the statewide, integrated, electronic health infrastructure being coordinated through Vermont Information Technology Leaders (VITL), a public-private partnership designated by the Vermont legislature to lead this effort in 2007.
What are the benefits of PRISM to me, and how will it affect my care experience?
- Enhanced Quality and Safety Measures – PRISM includes built-in, automatic checks in the electronic system to safeguard against undesirable medication and allergy interactions and incorrect dosage amounts, improving patient safety and helping us to provide you with the best care possible.
- Confidential and Secure – We understand that patients may feel anxious about having their medical information transferred into an electronic format, and we want to assure you that your privacy will be guarded through built-in protections within the electronic health record to prevent security breaches. Click here to read an FAQ addressing confidentiality and security questions about PRISM.
- One Patient, One Record – All members of your care team can access your electronic record at the same time from separate clinical locations, creating a faster and more seamless care experience for you.
- Convenient Access to Your Health Information – Because of PRISM, we can use MyHealth Online, a customizable web-based portal where you can quickly and easily view your health record, request routine appointments, view lab results, request medication renewals, and view your children's medical records.
- Improved Communication Between Providers – PRISM enables the medical providers on your care team, including referring providers, to communicate quickly and efficiently about your care, through shared access to your electronic health record.
- Shorter Medication Processing Time – Using an electronic health record ensures a shorter processing time between when a medication is ordered and when you, as a patient, will receive it.
- Leading Technology – Epic Systems, the PRISM software vendor, is one of the leading EHR vendors in the US and is utilized by such respected health care systems as Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health and Kaiser Permanente, among others.
- Advanced Care for the 21st Century – Hospitals all around the world are recognizing the value of applying 21st century technology to patient care to both enhance care and reduce costs, and many are switching from paper records to electronic records. The Obama Administration is supporting these efforts by making aggressive IT investments over the next several years to move the U.S. health care system to broad adoption of standards-based electronic health information systems, including electronic health records.
- PRISM: Fletcher Allen's Electronic Health Record
- Frequently Asked Questions: Electronic Health Record/PRISM Security and Confidentiality
|HFMA EHR Mini-Forum- "Five Tips for a Successful EHR Implementation||Download PDF|
Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF documents