Fletcher Allen, a Vermont university hospital and medical center, serves all of
Vermont and the northern New York region. Located in Burlington, Fletcher Allen is a regional, academic healthcare center and teaching hospital in alliance with the University of Vermont.
Our Alliance with the University of Vermont
Fletcher Allen: The Academic Advantage
- Thanks to one of our physicians who pioneered a new, groundbreaking genetic test, millions of young girls with a common form of scoliosis can now be saved from years of radiation exposure.
- A physician-in-training receives first-class medical education and invaluable mentoring, and goes on to lead a career saving countless lives as a trauma surgeon.
- A researcher develops a pioneering procedure that revolutionizes the treatment of many forms of cancer, thereby improving the quality of life for patients around the world.
A Special Partnership
Remarkable events like these occur every day at Fletcher Allen and the University of Vermont. Together, Fletcher Allen, the University of Vermont College of Medicine and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences form Vermont's academic medical center.
Here, extraordinary people bring together health care, research and education in innovative ways that make a difference in people’s lives. You are in skilled and caring hands, and are benefiting from the level of care that only a university hospital can provide.
About The University of Vermont Medical Group at Fletcher Allen
The University of Vermont Medical Group consists of approximately 450 physicians who are jointly employed by Fletcher Allen and the University of Vermont College of Medicine.
As members of the UVM Medical Group at Fletcher Allen, our physicians stay abreast of the latest medical advancements by teaching the next generation of physicians and seeking new cures and treatments through research. With access to state-of-the-art technology, they provide patients with multidisciplinary care that ensures the best possible outcomes.
The UVM Medical Group at Fletcher Allen offers you and your family some important advantages:
- Physician practice - The University of Vermont Medical Group includes physicians who not only practice medicine, but also serve as professors at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Constant learning is a way of life for these professionals; they are clinician-teachers who have the most up-to-date knowledge and training and can provide you with the highest-quality care.
- Experience - Complex medical procedures are performed more often at university hospitals. Research has shown that this experience results in a greater level of safety and quality of care for you as a patient -- so you and your family can feel confident knowing you’ve chosen an experienced health care provider.
- Discovery - Because many of our professionals are also dedicated to seeking new cures and treatments through research, that knowledge gets translated to patients and the community -- assuring you of the very best care based upon the very latest research.
- Technology - At the University of Vermont Medical Group, our physicians have access to the latest technology that a university hospital can offer. The latest technology, combined with the most knowledgeable experts, means the best possible care for you and your family.
Our Alliance with the University of Vermont
Every day, in myriad ways, the university medical center formed by the alliance of Fletcher Allen and the University of Vermont College of Medicine and College of Nursing and Health Sciences helps to improve our region's quality of life by:
- Providing patients with the latest innovations in medicine and health care
- Generating new knowledge about disease and wellness
- Educating the next generation of health care professionals and scientists
In addition, Fletcher Allen and the University of Vermont function as a major driver for the economy of Vermont and northern New York.
The nation's university medical centers are the backbone of innovation in health care. Physicians, nurses, and other health professionals training at these centers work with the latest therapies, treatments, and techniques, and are taught by some of the world's leading experts in their fields.
The University of Vermont and Fletcher Allen are inextricably linked, serving as Vermont's university medical center.
Our faculty physicians provide patient care at Fletcher Allen in addition to their roles as researchers and educators at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Their medical research, in turn, ensures that patients at Fletcher Allen benefit from breakthrough discoveries and clinical trials.
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences also partners with Fletcher Allen to educate students in clinical areas from laboratory science to nuclear medicine to labor and delivery and to research health care issues such as worksite wellness and palliative care.
The alliance between Fletcher Allen and the University of Vermont adds a unique factor to the health, character, and economic vitality of the state, bringing world-class research, education and care to Vermonters and their families.
Watch a video about the history of the two institutions and the formation of our partnership.